A dozen people — including seven children — in Houston were taken to the hospital for chemical exposure from an apparent over-chlorination of a lazy river pool, authorities said.
Houston firefighters received the initial call about the incident around 5 p.m. Saturday, according to CNN affiliate KHOU.
Houston Fire Department Chief Samuel Peña tweeted Saturday night that the incident is under control.
In an earlier tweet, the Houston Fire Department said seven children and three adults were taken to an area hospital, while others went in a private vehicle.
KHOU reported that the conditions of those hospitalized were not known.
Chlorine is used in swimming pools to kill germs. The chief noted that exposure to over-chlorination in such a setting can trigger nausea, skin and eye irritation, or asthma symptoms.
The incident at the pool takes place as residents try to calm down in the middle high temperatureswith heat indices in the triple digits this weekend, according to the National Weather Service office in Houston.